Sunday, October 24, 2010

All or Nothing-Creature of Habit-Procrastinating-Super Mom Wannabe!

So I’m not sure which is worse, the fact that I haven’t written anything in 10 days or the fact that I feel like 10 days is forever ago. Heck I even feel like the three days since I posted the list of Halloween events was forever ago. I’m starting to think this is a side effect of being a parent.

I’m hoping it’s not just me (but maybe it is?) but I seriously feel like some days feel like entire weeks. Today was one of those days. And it wasn’t even a bad day, it was a pretty good day! I’ve only been up for 12 hours but I feel like it’s closer to 20, I’m actually already in my pajamas.  I think it’s just because today was one of those days that felt non stop. I feel like I was “on” all day and now that I’ve actually sat down it’s catching up. Don’t get me wrong though, having a busy and productive day is kind of nice!


I’m also wondering if it’s just me that thinks things seem to pile on all at once. I had nothing to do a few weeks ago and I was actually complaining that I was a bit bored! It didn’t last long though. All of a sudden I had 14 nursing covers to sew in 6 days. Maybe I shouldn’t have complained about being bored? What a great sense of accomplishment though! It was so great to know that I could take care of my house while working on the side and manage it all! Or could I? Turns out, in that week I forgot how to cook a decent dinner, let laundry pile up, and my daughter watched enough Fresh Beat Band to learn the words to some of the songs. Sigh…

I think one of my problems is that I’m an “All or Nothing-Creature of Habit-Procrastinating-Super Mom Wannabe”. Okay, so maybe I have more than one problem. Oh yes, definitely, I forgot to add “Scatterbrained”. 

I’m not very good when my daily routine gets thrown off. Even sadder is the fact that I think my daughter is following very closely in my footsteps. Let me explain: If my day to day stays pretty basic I can accomplish a lot, feel great about it, and even Lilah has a great week. If something throws it off, say an appointment or a playdate, all hell breaks loose. That little glitch in my normal routine sends me flying off to the point where next thing I know, it’s grilled cheese for dinner (again) and I’m wearing the same jeans for the fifth time, spilled coffee and all. If we head out to a playdate, Lilah’s whole world seems to flip as well. She’ll skip naps or sleep horrible that night and the next couple of days she seems to have a hard time getting into the swing of things. Like mother like daughter, right?

My months seem to go in cycles (in more ways than one I suppose). First, I’ll have one “down” week where there isn’t much to do. Next I’ll have a fantastic week where Lilah and I are in sync, I get tons of stuff accomplished and everything is running smooth. Then comes the chaos week where all of a sudden I’ve taken on five million projects and somehow I’ve lost control of the chore list. And finally, the “oh my god how did this happen again” week where I revaluate my priorities and try to lay low. Seriously, it happens every month, you’d think I’d have it figured out by now!! To make things even crazier, every once in a while I like to throw in the wild card days where I have so many things that need to get done I spend the entire day trying to figure out what to pick. I get frustrated and wish that I could just pause everything and everyone around me and just do it all. You can bet I’ll be the first in line if someone ever invents a remote for that!!

Currently I think I’m starting up another chaos week. Yikes! But this time I’m determined to do it differently. I’m going to set my priorities straight and figure out what’s most important and go from there. So far I’m thinking that devoting few hours of each day to playing/reading/talking with Lilah is a must. I’d also like to make sure that I have some decent dinners and that I stay on top of laundry/vacuuming/bathrooms. I’m also going to try to make sure that I take some time to do some “me” things, as well as some time for fun and creative things like the graphic design work I’m doing and  more posts for the blog. Hopefully this week I can find a balance and figure out this whole “prioritizing” thing. And at least if all else fails, there’s always next month right?

-Charissa

No comments:

Post a Comment