Healthy and delicious CAN go together with wonderful ingredients like organic agave and white whole wheat flour. Add in things like carrot, apple, nuts and seeds, and you’ve got yourself a treat that’s both kid and husband tested and approved!
Click "read more" for the full recipe!
2 cups grated carrot
2 medium apples, grated (I use Gala)
1 cup unsweetened coconut, toasted (you can toast it in a frying pan over medium heat, just watch it carefully!)
2 cups white whole wheat flour
¾ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice (less if you don’t like a muffin with spicy flavor)
1 cup sunflower (or pumpkin) seeds
1 cup raisins
½ chopped nuts, toasted (toasted almonds, walnuts or pecans works great!)
1/3 cup Agave nectar
1 tsp Vanilla extract
¼ cup oil (or applesauce)
3 large eggs
(You can pretty much use as little or as much seeds, raisins, nuts, coconut as you like!)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard size muffin tins and set them aside.
2) Add the following into a large bowl and combine using a whisk: Flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice.
3) Add the raisins, toasted coconut, seeds, and nuts. Mix together until everything is well coated (this helps keep things evenly distributed throughout your muffins)
4) In a small bowl, combine the eggs, oil, agave, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients.
5) Add grated carrot and apple to the main bowl and mix only until combined (over mixing makes for a dry muffin!)
6) Scoop muffin mix into your lined muffin tins. I use a metal ice cream scoop, like this, for easy and even muffins!
7) Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8) Let cool and enjoy!
Makes 18 standard sized muffins.