Sunday, January 29, 2012

Alyeska Resort

 Awhile ago, my honey and I stayed the night at the Alyeska Resort for a getaway. I'm so blessed to have family in town to watch the wee ones. Girdwood is such a great little getaway, not to far, but far enough. The drive along Turnagain Arm was so beautiful.

  
 The hotel itself is really pretty, lots of cool Alaskan items to look at. The staff was amazing! They had a hard time finding our reservation, but they worked with us and were so polite. There was actually a couple of things went wrong, but they made it all happen without stress. We did not have ANY negative attitude from ANY of the staff there. Which I loved. The staff all had that mountain-laid-back attitude with professionalism.


 The last hotel room I stayed in was at the Bellagio in Vegas, which was newly remodeled so my bar was pretty high. The Aleyska Resort rooms are quaint and older. I don't really think most hotel rooms compare to the Bellagio, but I really enjoyed our room at the Alyeska Resort. It was clean and calm. And hey, I didn't have to clean it so it really was amazing!


 The hubs and I love sushi, so we wanted to try out Sakura & Sushi Bar for dinner. I have to say this was our only disappointment. Um, I would never eat there again. The service was great but the food was not up to par at all, especially for the price! Very bland. I think we will just stick to our favorite sushi spot in Anchorage, Jimmy's Sushi. Try Jimmy's, it's amazing!


 We headed to Chair 5 Restaurant for some yummy dessert. Great local place with cool Alaskan memorabila and facts. Someone gave us tickets to a show at the Sitzmark. After gorging ourselves, we went to the Sitzmark to have a couple of drinks and a good time. Locals, Alyeska staff, and out of towners were dancing to the beat of the band.  It was so nice to be able to stay out and have some fun. Of course, my idea of fun was sitting, drinking some Malibu and coke, and watching the hubs play Foosball.


 We woke up to a room service breakfast, which was very good! Packed up really quick and hit the slopes! I used to snowboard back in the day, but I wanted to try skiing again. Hadn't done it since 6th grade! Okay, so can I just say that I actually learned a lot about myself while skiing! Well, I guess it just reconfirmed what I already know. I am a CONTROL FREAK!!!! I did not want to go to fast, I didn't like people speeding by me, and I did NOT like Jason telling me how to ski. We had to separate a little bit so I could regain my composure. My husband is an amazing snowboarder, but I did not want to hear what he had to say.


 I finally relaxed and just tried to go with the flow. I enjoyed the beautiful scenery. You can see Turnagain Arm in the photo above. It was snowing and raining off and on. I never made it to the top. I just stayed on the greens that were less traveled.


 After awhile I went down to the Sitzmark to sit and relax. Loved watching the kids come down. Fearless. I'm way to fearful, sigh. CONTROL. Jason met up with me for some yummy lunch at the Sitzmark. Something about eating and drinking hot items after skiing/snowboarding is so soothing.



 We did a couple more runs before night skiing started. Of course, I started getting more comfortable with skiing towards the end. Need to start skiing more. Cross country is more my speed though.


  All in all, it was a great one night getaway. I highly recommend going and staying, even if it's just for a night. They have some great Ski and Stay packages that are affordable. Next time I'll have to go for the spa package, sounds so relaxing. Oh, there is a pool there if you can't get a babysitter for the kiddos. We were tempted to take Kaden with us, but figured we needed some one on one time. It was great to spend time with my honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment